No matter the intended use, persons owning small, unmanned aircraft (drones) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds must now register their aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Heads up to those purchasing such an aircraft for the Holidays: The date of aircraft purchase affects your required registration date and/or process.
If the owner is using the aircraft for recreation and hobby purposes, the registration is free for the first 30 days and then $5 after that. Registration is valid for three years.
Full details from the FAA’s News & Updates
If you owned your aircraft before Dec. 21, 2015, you must complete your registration by Feb. 19, 2016. Any purchasers after Dec. 21, 2015 must register their aircraft before its first flight.
Register my drone online now
The FAA asks that you remember the following when flying your aircraft to keep the skies safe for everyone:
- Fly below 400 feet altitude.
- Keep the aircraft in sight at all times.
- Never fly near manned aircraft, especially near airports.
- Never fly over groups of people, stadiums, or sporting events.
- Never fly near emergency response efforts.
Information shared from FAA’s news updates online