The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Foundation is dedicated to giving time, talent and treasures to the community through recreational endeavors. The Foundation hosts many annual community fundraising events in conjunction with the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. These efforts provide financial support for projects and equipment, enhancing the community.
“The Parks and Recreation Foundation provides many opportunities for the community to give back to their Parks and Recreation system,” said Scott Williams, Recreation Division Manager with City of Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation. “Whether it is through sponsoring or attending one of our annual events or fundraisers, securing a sign sponsorship at one of our facilities or becoming a member of the Friends of Parks and Recreation, there is an opportunity for everyone to get involved.”
The Foundation needs community support and reaches out via three major initiatives:
- The Foundation exists to provide financial support for the City of Cape Girardeau’s Parks and Recreation Department. Financial support is provided for parks and recreation facility improvements, equipment and programs through various fundraisers and sponsorship opportunities.
The Foundation hosts annual many annual special events for the community and surrounding areas of Cape Girardeau that provide fun and enriching family experiences throughout the year. These events include a variety of opportunities from sports and recreation to community meals.
- The Foundation creates Community Awareness through special events, the Foundation promotes topics such as fitness, family, youth sports values, historic districts, memorials and leisure activities for all.
Some of the many Foundation annual events include:
- The Cardinals Caravan is a chance for avid Cardinal fans to meet up and coming Cardinal players, as well as legends.
- The Celebration of Youth Sports Awards Banquet is an annual event that honors excellence in local youth sports.
- Join thousands of active Americans during the annual National Run/Walk Day.
- Our annual Nightfall Glow-Ball Tournament is a chance for golfers to experience the game in the dark! Held at the Cape Jaycee Municipal Golf Course, this event is a unique way to play the game.
- The Cary Flanagan Memorial Softball Tournament is an annual mens, co-ed, and girls fast-pitch tournament in the honor of longtime ASA District Commissioner, umpire and friend, Cary Flanagan. This tournament takes place at the Shawnee Park Sports Complex.
- The Downtown Golf Tournament offers an urban golf experience in the Historic Downtown Cape Girardeau District.
- Spaghetti Day is an annual event at the A. C. Brase Arena that feeds over two thousand people.
- Breakfast with Santa is a memorable Christmas event that gives kids a chance to enjoy a morning with Santa Claus himself!
The Parks and Recreation Foundation now offers a Membership Program called “Friends of the Parks and Recreation Foundation.” Individual and family memberships include the
- Discounts for selected Foundation events
- Preferred seating at selected Foundation events with reservation
- An invitation to the Cape Splash Night for Foundation Members at the Cape Splash
Family Aquatic Center
- One complimentary discount card to local businesses. Families will receive an additional
- Subscription to Foundation quarterly newsletter.
Corporate memberships include the following additional benefits:
- Business exposure at Foundation events
- “Foundation Sponsor of the Week” promotion on facility marquees
- Exposure in the Foundation newsletter and PLAY CAPE! program guides.
- Discount on advertising signage at Parks & Recreation facilities
For additional information about the Foundation, to become a member, or details about other events, contact the Parks and Recreation Department office at 573-339-6340.