The City of Cape Girardeau will be holding a special ceremony on Wednesday, July 29 at 7:15 p.m. at the Municipal Band Shell (just prior to the weekly concert commencing) to honor Dr. Dan Cotner and his contributions to Cape Girardeau and especially to the world of music and the Cape Girardeau Municipal Band. The City is proud to announce that the ceremony will include renaming the Band Shell the “Dan Cotner Amphitheatre”. Among his many accomplishments, Dr. Cotner joined the band in 1940 and has been the foundation of the trombone section ever since. Please join us for our final concert of the season recognizing Mr. Cotner and in celebrating the renaming of our band shell. Refreshments will be served at Intermission. In case of rain the concert will be held at the Osage Centre. For additional information please feel free to contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 573.339.6340.
About Dan Cotner
- The Cape Girardeau Municipal Band is pleased and grateful to have Dr. Dan Cotner for over 75 years – the longest tenure ever! He joined the band in 1940, at the age of 17, and has been the foundation of the trombone section ever since.
- Though Dr. Cotner enlisted in the Army in 1943 during World War II, and re-enlisted in the Air Force in 1952 during the Korean War, he still found time to practice dentistry for over half a century and raise a family of musical dental professionals.
- He has provided music for the Rotary Club of Cape Girardeau and other statewide Rotary events since 1950. He played for many years with the German Band, the Dixieland Band, the Jerry Ford Orchestra, and the Salvation Army Brass Band during Christmas.
- Dr. Cotner has played in the pit orchestra for many of the area school musicals while encouraging young musicians with his love of music. Most notably, he has played in all (but one) of the Notre Dame musicals since 1965.
- Cotner has played organ in most of the area churches, and he has been the primary organist with his church at Westminster Presbyterian for 50 years. In fact, whenever anyone has needed music for a special event, they found Dr. Cotner ready to help, and numerous Citywide events have called on him to make their event special.
- Dr. Dan Cotner has been on more than 19 mission trips to 11 foreign countries providing free dental care to those in need. He is a walking encyclopedia, a genealogist, and an inspiration to everyone who knows him.