The City Council approved the financial plan for the 2015-2016 year at their June 15 meeting, the third of three public meetings on the topic. With only a 2.81% operating budget increase, the budget maintains the same property tax levy, adds two new police officers, three new jailers, and one new code enforcement officer. This was accomplished by reducing one general staff position, reducing Workman’s Compensation rates through a safe work record, and a reduction in debt service of $1.42 million.
Within the budget the Council also approved a small increase in water and solid waste fees. The monthly Solid Waste fee covers these services:
- Weekly curbside trash and recycling pickup
- One free special pick-up per year (and low-fee special pick-ups throughout the year)
- Curbside leaf removal and drop-off options
- Free use of the Recycling Center, city-wide glass recycling drop-off locations, and the motor oil drop-off location
- Access to the Transfer Station (facility also fee-supported)
- Yard waste disposal options (though currently suspended due to flood)