Fire at 542 S. Spring – May 3, 2015

The Cape Girardeau Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at 542 S. Spring Apt. G at 22:49 on May 3. Upon arrival, there were no smoke or flames showing from the outside of the building. Fire crews could hear smoke detectors sounding from Apartment G. When they forced the door open, they were met with moderate smoke conditions. The other three apartments were evacuated. A dog was rescued from Apartment G. A small fire was located in the bathroom and had been already extinguished. The fire was located between the toilet and bath tub. The water from the toilet had extinguished the fire when the fire melted the side of the toilet. This acted similarly to a residential sprinkler system by applying minimal water early in the fire’s development. The fire has been ruled accidental (discarded cigarette in the trash can).

Damage: Smoke only, light
Est. Dollar Loss: $5,500