By the end of the year, five of the seven City Council positions could turnover to new people.
Remember to vote April 8 for a mayor and representatives in wards 1, 2, and 6. The election results will be known immediately following the election but won’t be made official until a special meeting April 14. The newly elected Council members will take their seats at the following regular Council meeting on April 21.
Ward 3 Representative Trent Summers intention to resign from the City Council is not official until the City Council accepts the resignation at a public meeting. Once accepted, the Council can immediately appoint a temporary representative for the ward. They have up to 60 days from accepting the resignation to fill the vacancy.
The City Charter compels staff to hold an election for the ward on the next available election date set by the state. The timeline for the Ward 3 August/November 2014 election could be as follows below, depending on when the Council officially recognizes the vacancy.
- April 7 — The City Council is likely to accept a resignation from Trent Summers at their regular meeting. A temporary representative could be announced at this time.
- April 8 — Election for Mayor and Wards 1, 2, and 6.
- April 9 — Nominating Petition Forms for aspiring Council members will likely be made available by the City Clerk’s Office on this day.
- April 21 — First regular meeting of the City Council including newly elected members from the April 8 election of the mayor and wards 1, 2 and 6.
- April 22-May 20 — Filing period for aspiring candidates to file their petition forms with 50 signatures from ward 3 registered voters.
- Between May 21 and 5 p.m. on May 27 — The County Clerk’s Office will verify all signatures and report to the City Clerk’s Office which will declare the petitions sufficient and announce the official candidates. Then the City Council will set the ward 3 election.
>>> If there are two or fewer candidates, there will be a general election on August 5, 2014.
>>> If there are three or more candidates, the primary will be Aug. 5 and the general election will be Nov. 4.
- June 6 — Deadline for Council to have named a temporary Ward 3 representative if resignation was accepted on April 7.
- July 9 — The last day to register to vote in the August 5 election. Find your ward on our map.