Cape Girardeau’s new regulations regarding scooters goes in effect Nov. 16. The following items are now required for operating scooters, mopeds and motorized bicycles with 50 cc and below engines.
- Valid driver license
- DOT-approved helmet
- Only one person; no passengers
- Insurance required; must carry proof
- Driver must remain seated
- Drive on streets with 35 miles per hour or below speed limit
- Obey all road rules
- Maintain a working headlight, tail light and turn signals
Requirement violations may result in a maximum fine of $500 and 90 days in jail per incident.
The Cape Girardeau Police Department and Southeast Missouri State University Department of Public Safety will be distributing information to scooter operators as necessary in coming weeks. Information slips, including a color-coded map of streets and speed limits, are also available at shops selling scooters, and at www.cityofcape.org/police.
For more information, call the Cape Girardeau Police Department at 573-335-6621.
Click map to enlarge