A No Burn Order for the City of Cape Girardeau starts Wednesday, June 27, and lasts until further notice.
Fireworks sales and use are allowed, and not included in the no burn order. Fireworks will present a fire hazard while used during a no burn order. The City of Cape Girardeau is strongly discouraging their use. If you decide to use fireworks during this No Burn Order from the City of Cape Girardeau, please:
- Have a hose ready that can extinguish flames and embers anywhere they might possibly occur.
- Only discharge fireworks from flat, level concrete or similar nonflammable surface.
- Bottle rockets are prohibited. Similar fireworks that may fly uncontrollably should not be used because of the additional fire risk imposed by the dry climate.
- Hose down the area in which you plan to shoot fireworks.
- Keep plenty of water nearby, and leave all discharged fireworks outside until the next morning and douse them with water.
Fireworks may only be used during these times in Cape Girardeau:
- June 27 to July 3 between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- July 4 at 10 a.m. to July 5 at midnight
NEVER discharge fireworks:
- at or too near any person or group of people,
- at or onto the property of another without permission,
- from the roof or from the inside of any building,
- within, on or at a motor vehicle,
- within 300 feet of any fireworks retail sales location,
- within 600 feet of any hospital building,
- within 600 feet of any church or school building,
- or on the real property of any church or school without permission in writing.
For updates on the City’s no burn order and other burning information visit cityofcape.org/burningregulations, or call the Fire Department: 573-339-6330.