Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/24/9629424/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10
Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/content/24/9629424/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10
May is Building Safety Month. The City of Cape Girardeau will be spotlighting specific areas of building safety each week during May. This week’s focus is green and sustainable building. Here are some tips for your home and where to recycle in Cape Girardeau.
Tips for Homes
- Close curtains and shades at night to keep warmth in and keep them open during the day.
- Try new lighting control technologies like motion-sensitive or timed off switch lighting. Using these new options can reduce lighting use by 50% – 75% and save the lighting portion of energy bills that account for 11% of overall household energy consumption.
- Replace ordinary light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs. If every household replaced just one light bulb with a CFL bulb, America could save enough energy to light nearly three million homes.
- Install a programmable thermostat to keep your home comfortably warm in the winter and comfortably cool in the summer.
- Replacing drafty windows can save between 7% and 24% of the household heating and air conditioning costs.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips, and turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use as TVs and DVDs in standby mode still consume several watts of power.
- Choosing energy-efficient products can save families approximately $400 a year while reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Chose ENERGY STAR® certified products when you buy or replace household appliances.
- In the workplace, buy and use ENERGY STAR labeled office equipment, and other products. Be sure that the “stand-by mode” function is activated as this automatic “sleep mode” saves energy and money when the equipment is not in use.
- Regularly change the filters in the heating and cooling system of your home or office as dirty filters can cost up to $5 a month extra, overwork the equipment and result in dirtier indoor air.
- Consider purchasing “electrostatic” filters, which are washable, long lasting, and provide cleaner air. Clean or change filters more often if smokers or pollution sources are present.
Where to Recycle in Cape Girardeau
Electronics, including TVs, computers, old game systems, phones and more can be recycled, some for a small fee, at the City’s Recycling Center in partnership with Midwest Recycling Center.
Visit cityofcape.org/recycling or call Public Works at 573-339-6351 for addresses and more information on recycling hazardous items like batteries, motor oil, fluorescent lighting and household chemicals.
Recycling education presentations are also available for classrooms, church groups and other civic organizations by calling Public Works.
City of Cape Girardeau Public Works Department
Solid Waste and Recycling Programs