Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/24/9629424/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10
Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/content/24/9629424/html/wp-content/plugins/xml-google-maps/xmlgooglemaps_dbfunctions.php on line 10
Fire safety is something that most of us want to keep in mind on a regular basis, but don’t always take the time to do. Check out these 13 quick and easy tips to help get you prepared in the event of a fire, and to help keep you safe from fires.
- Install smoke alarms in each bedroom, outside of sleeping areas and rooms, and on each level of your home.
- Replace all smoke detector batteries once yearly. Make sure to test your smoke detectors at least once per month.
- Do not paint over smoke detectors.
- If you have gas-fired appliances, like a gas stove, install a carbon monoxide detector and check its batteries frequently.
- Develop an evacuation plan for you and your family.
- Practice an escape plan from every room in the house. Caution everyone to stay low to the floor when escaping from fire and never to open doors that are hot. Select a location for everyone to meet after escaping the house. Get out, then call for help.
- Make sure you know how to open/operate all your home’s windows. Make sure windows aren’t nailed or painted shut.
- Portable heaters need their space. Keep anything combustible at least 3 feet away.
- Maintain a “defensible” space around your home by clearing all flammable vegetation a minimum of 30 feet around all structures. Clear dead leaves and branches to leave widely-spaced ornamental shrubbery and trees.
- Plant fire prone trees and shrubs away from your home and far enough apart so they won’t ignite each other.
- Install noncombustible 1/4 inch or smaller mesh screening on attic/soffit vents and around elevated wood decks to keep out embers. Install approved or listed spark arrestors on chimneys of solid fuel or liquid fuel burning appliances.
- Do not link together multiple surge protectors.
- Use an appropriately-sized extension cord for your needs.