2016 Cape Girardeau Endangered Buildings List Announced

Information submitted by the City of Cape Girardeau Historic Preservation Commission and may include information previously posted to the Endangered Buildings List in previous years.
The City of Cape Girardeau Historic Preservation Commission recently approved its 2016 Endangered Buildings list below. The following list was adopted by the Commission for the sole purpose of promoting awareness of buildings and structures that the Commission believes have historic value and are at risk of being lost due to deterioration and/or imminent demolition.
The listing of a building or structure does not constitute and act of enforcement of any law or regulation, nor does it constitute a legal action against any person or entity. The information below is compiled from various sources, including public nominations. Please report any corrections to the City of Cape Girardeau Planning Services Division at (573) 339-6327.
View the 2015 Endangered Buildings List
View the 2014 Endangered Buildings List
View the 2013 Endangered Buildings List
2016 ENDANGERED BUILDINGS LIST
broadway-theaterBROADWAY THEATER – 805 BROADWAY
In its heyday, the Broadway Theater was associated with both Twentieth-Century Fox and Paramount Pictures. It originally opened with a showing of the motion picture The Sheik, starring Rudolph Valentino. It was first-rate, with state-of-the-art equipment, an orchestra pit, stage facilities, and a grand marquee. The main floor and the balcony had a total seating capacity for 1,200 persons. Today, the 1921 theater stands vacant, and the marquee is long gone. The building has not had a viable use for several years, and is showing signs of deterioration. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2012)
Esquire Theater 10-12-11 marqueeESQUIRE THEATER – 824 BROADWAY
On its opening night of January 21, 1947, over 1,300 movie goers flocked to this modernistic movie theater to watch Bing Crosby in Blue Skies. Featuring an Art Deco design (with over one mile of neon lights), the theater quickly became a landmark to many locals. Its doors closed in October of 1984, the last of the grand neighborhood movie houses in Cape Girardeau. The theater was re-opened briefly for second-run movies, but by the end of 1985 it had again become vacant. The building, including the marquee, has been damaged over the years. The theater was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2012)
Fort-D-Cape-Girardeau-ALincolnFORT D BLOCKHOUSE – 920 FORT STREET
The block building located on the Fort D historic site was built by the Works Progress Administration around 1936. It was used as a meeting house for various groups and also as a private residence, but by the mid 1980’s the building stood vacant. In 2005, the deteriorated roof was removed and major stabilization improvements were made. Today, the building is used annually as part of Civil War living history demonstrations by the Friends of Fort D. Aside from such events, the building is rarely utilized and is showing signs of disrepair. The Cape Girardeau City Council approved funding to repair the blockhouse, including construction of a new roof. At the time of release of this list, work had not yet commenced. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2012)
Woolworths Store wpWOOLWORTH’S STORE – 1 NORTH MAIN STREET
The building at 1 North Main Street is the end cap of a block of storefront buildings in the downtown district. The building has changed looks and owners many times over the years. The building gained historic significance in 1914, when F.W. Woolworth’s original store was opened. In 1950, the store expanded and when it was completed, the building extended the width of the entire block and had openings on Main, Spanish, and Independence Streets. This expansion reflected a surge in commercial shopping activity in the downtown district. The building is now vacant and deteriorating. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2013)
635-good-hope635 GOOD HOPE STREET
Located at the southeast corner of Good Hope and South Sprigg Streets, this ca. 1884 building served as a German saloon from the 1880’s through the 1910’s and was one of the first saloons in Cape Girardeau to cease liquor sales during the Prohibition era. Throughout the 1920’s and 30’s, it functioned as a gathering place for community discussion, much as it had when it was a saloon. It eventually became the official meeting site of the local German American Alliance as well as several local unions related to the construction industry in Cape Girardeau. The saloon itself was owned by Anton and Joe Haas, two important figures in the development of Cape Girardeau. The brothers were involved in the construction of the old Saint Francis Hospital and Saint Mary’s School, among others. In addition, Anton’s concrete company was responsible for the pouring of the courthouse steps – one of the earliest uses of concrete in Cape Girardeau. The building has been deteriorating for years and is mostly, if not entirely, vacant. In July 2014, the adjacent building at 633 Good Hope Street collapsed, exposing the party wall and further jeopardizing the future of this once vibrant corner building, (On Endangered Buildings List since 2013)
127-south-lorimier127 SOUTH LORIMIER STREET
The brick house at 127 South Lorimier Street reflects the Missouri German Vernacular style, which was once prevalent in Cape Girardeau. It has many of the character defining features, such as a rectangular footprint, close proximity to the street, a brick facade, a stone foundation, brick arches over double-hung sash windows, and a low pitched roof with an end chimney. Unlike most houses of this style, it features two stories. The house appears to be vacant and certain elements, including the windows, the bay window, and the rear addition, are damaged and/or deteriorating. If ignored, the deterioration will increase and over time could lead to more serious conditions affecting the building’s historic and architectural integrity. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2013)
OCHS-SHIVELBINE HOUSE – 1409 NORTH SPRIGG STREET
ochs-shivelbine-houseBuilt in the early 1920’s by Henry Ochs, this expansive house was purchased by L.J. Shivelbine in 1962 and remains an iconic historic home that once existed beyond the northern city limits of Cape Girardeau. The property once contained a plant nursery. The house features oak floors, deep eaves, Palladian windows, and stained glass windows. Formerly used as a fraternity house, it stands in the way of Southeast Missouri State University’s plans for a new Greek housing development, and its demolition is pending. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
MARQUETTE SCHOOL -2815 SOUTH SPRIGG STREET
marquette-schoolThis former two-room schoolhouse was in service for more than 40 years before its doors were closed. In the 1970’s, it served as a lodge for Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. The brick building features a hipped roof and a  projecting pavilion. It represents a typology of small rural schoolhouses that once served as the primary source of education for most Americans. Such buildings are becoming rare as rural land is cleared for development. Such is the case for this schoolhouse. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
14-south-lorimier14 SOUTH LORIMIER STREET
What was once a great example of Gothic Revival architecture has become a worsening eyesore. The house, which features a high pitched gable roof and ornamental brackets, is slowly succumbing to structural failures in the roof, walls, porch, and rear addition. Its condition is severe enough that it could be considered a “demolition by neglect.” (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
213-south-middle-street213 SOUTH MIDDLE STREET
This Victorian-era house has retained many of its ornamental features, including fishscale siding, brackets, panels, cornices, porch trim, and bay windows. It is in poor condition, with several broken windows and rotting wood structural members. The house was condemned by the City due to a fire, and the current property owner intends to demolish it. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
230 SOUTH MIDDLE STREET
230-south-middleThis one-story Craftsman house with a brick exterior represents a style that was prevalent in Cape Girardeau neighborhoods at the turn of the century. It features large overhanging eaves with exposed brackets, a full length porch with brick columns, and three-over-one sash windows. The house is rapidly deteriorating, most likely due to long term vacancy and neglect. The eaves are rotting, the siding is falling off the roof dormer, the roof singles are work, and there is substantial Mortar loss in some areas of the brick. The damage is extensive enough to lead to structural failures if not addressed soon. (Added to Endangered Buildings List in 2016)
529-olive-street529 OLIVE STREET
One of only a handful of L-houses left in the historic Ingram’s Addition, the house at 529 Olive Street was built ca. 1873. The original shape of the house has not changed, even though it was updated in the 1920’s and again in the 1950’s. The house was built by, or for, John Henry Brown, an African-American. At the time, Ingram’s Addition was a predominantly white subdivision. Today, the house sits next to an apartment building and parking lot, which altered the topography by creating a large embankment around the narrow yard of the house. Another apartment development is located across the street. The recent developments signal a transition in the character of the neighborhood away from single-family homes and toward multi-family housing. The house is further threatened due to the broken windows, loss of siding, and other damage. (Added to the Endangered Buildings List in 2016)
UPDATES – PREVIOUS ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE LIST
LORIMIER APARTMENTS – 142-148 SOUTH LORIMIER STREET
lorimier-apartmentsAdded to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010, this two-story brick apartment building was built in 1925 and features a U-shaped floor plan with a courtyard and double front porches. For the past several years, the building has been vacant, its windows and doors boarded, with no apparent plans for its future. The current property owner recently began rehabilitating the building, however, with plans to open it once again as apartments. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2012)
412-asher-street412 ASHER STREET
This small brick house was built in the Missouri German Vernacular style. If features a side gable and a centered door with a transom, flanked by pairs of two-over-two vertical light double hung window. Although it is situated across from Southeast Missouri State University’s River Campus and surrounded by commercial and industrial properties, it appears the house is currently being maintained and is in no imminent danger of being lost. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2014)
444-washington-ave444 WASHINGTON AVENUE
Rev. Adriel Sherwood hired E.B. Dean to build this house, which was completed in 1846. Rev. Sherwood used this residence to teach classes on classical languages and literature, and later it was used for the Washington Female Academy, which was chartered by the Missouri General Assembly in 1849. During the Civil War, it was used for officers’ quarters and later as a U.S. smallpox hospital. Though occupied, this home is showing signs of deterioration and needs repair and maintenance. Stucco is missing from several areas of the home and stains and cracks are also visible. Damaged stucco is susceptible to water infiltration and can lead to more significant problems over time. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
524-william524 WILLIAM STREET
This traditional brick house features a front porch on each of its two stories and has a concrete foundation and window sills. The owner has given permission to the Cape Girardeau Fire Department to conduct simulated events for training purposes. While the property is unlikely to be rehabilitated, it is serving a purpose and will remain so for the forseeable future. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
1118-bloomfield1118 BLOOMFIELD ROAD
Built in 1950 with a Dutch Colonial Revival influence, this home features a gambrel roof with curved eaves and dormers with overhanging eaves. There is evidence of the roof beginning to separate from the eaves and the rest of the house, and cracks in the foundation. Both are cause for concern about the building’s structural integrity. The house appears to be occupied, however, and at this time there is no reason to believe it will be demolished. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)
112-114-north-main112-114 NORTH MAIN STREET
Constructed in 1880, this three-story structure contains two recessed storefronts and exemplifies the mixed-use character of Cape Girardeau’s downtown buildings. It was vacant and in disrepair for several years. In 2015, the building underwent extensive rehabilitation, which included removal of the aging stucco to reveal the brick facade and repair of the “hood” arches over the windows and the brackets under the eaves. The storefront and the mansard roof were replaced as well. Today it is occupied by a restaurant. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2014)
WATCH LIST
REYNOLDS HOUSE – 623 NORTH MAIN STREET
reynolds-houseThis French Colonial and Georgian style house was built ca. 1857 and was designed by architect Edwin Branch Deane, who designed several homes in Cape Girardeau. The house is named after James Reynolds, who operated a steam mill on the Mississippi River. The house remained in the Reynolds family ownership until the 1940’s. At the time the Isle Casino development was approved by the City, a private foundation was formed with intentions to rehabilitate the house and use it as a venue for group gatherings and educational functions. To date, the house remains vacant and no improvements have been made. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 and designated a Local Historic Landmark by the City of Cape Girardeau in 1996. (On Watch List since 2014)
230-north-middle230 NORTH MIDDLE STREET
This unique residence was built as a duplex and features elements of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, including decorative brick arches and quoins, and terra cotta shingles. Although it has retained its historic and architectural integrity over the years, it is vacant and vulnerable to vandalism, as evidenced by the broken windows. The property sold last year, but the building has not been repaired or occupied. (Added to Endangered Buildings List in 2014; moved to the Watch List in 2015)
juden-schoolJUDEN SCHOOL – 900 WEST CAPE ROCK DRIVE
This former schoolhouse was built in 1854 and was in service until 1960. It features original wood floors and windows, as well as a blackboard. The building is vulnerable to flooding, particularly the basement, and the roof needs to be replaced. It is endangered in the sense that historic schoolhouses are disappearing from the landscape across the nation. If not properly preserved, it could be among those that once were. (Added to Endangered Buildings List in 2015; moved to the Watch List in 2016)
120-124-north-main120-124 NORTH MAIN STREET
This early 20th century brick building is an example of a two-part commercial block structure with a double storefront. It features exceptional examples of modern, gradually recessed first floor entryways with narrow bulkheads, aluminum and glass windows and doors, and Carrera glass features. The second story contains hood ornaments over the windows and an ornate cornice made of cast iron. The building represents a distinctive and important architectural design in the heart of Cape Girardeau’s downtown commercial district. There is significant deterioration present, however. The hood ornaments and cornice on the southern half of the building have been left unpainted and exposed to the elements, causing breaks to form and small sections to begin to rust. In addition, the concrete window sills and bricks are deteriorating through spalling and erosion. The building is currently vacant and without upkeep, the integrity of the facade will be eventually lost. (Added to the Watch List in 2016)
1079-lexington1079 LEXINGTON AVENUE
The I-style farmhouse at 1079 Lexington Avenue features a German Vernacular design, with painted wood panel siding and double chimneys. It was most likely constructed in the late 19th century, with later additions made in the 20th century. The siding shows signs of significant deterioration, as do the soffit and facia. On the east side of the house, the lower area appears morphed and unstable. Pressure to develop rural lots like this in the city limits for subdivisions also threatens its future. (Added to the Watch List in 2016)
328-spanish328 SPANISH STREET
Surrounded by the Glenn House, Southeast Missouri State University’s River Campus, and the old Mississippi River Bridge monument, this prominent historic home is an example of American Foursquare architecture. The house is slowly deteriorating, especially the porch, which is starting to collapse. The house appears to be occupied, but if the structural failures continue, it may end up being demolished by neglect. (On Endangered Buildings List since 2015)